Utilities & Services


Location and Contact Information

Our office is located in City Hall at 128 North Powell St. in downtown Forest City.

Lobby hours are 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday.

Drive-Thru hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday.

For utility billing questions or service information, call (828) 245-0148.

The Billing Coordinator is Sherry McNeilly and can be reached by phone at (828) 248-5207 or by email at sherrymcneilly@townofforestcity.com.

To Obtain Utilities

  • The total amount of any old bill must be paid.

  • Fees:

    • Electric $100 Deposit

    • Water $25 Deposit

    • Transfer fee $30

Application for Electric, Water or Sewer

Services Provided

The Town of Forest City provides electric, water, sewer and sanitation services to all our citizens. We also provide water service to many customers outside our corporate limits. It is with great pride that we provide these services to all of our customers.

Understanding Your Bill

You can find information about your account on your utility bill:

Account Number: It is located at the top right hand corner of your bill.

Previous and Present Readings with Usage: Your bill shows the previous reading and the current reading for your electric and/or water each month. The usage shows how many gallons of water and how many kilowatt hours (kwh) you used during this billing period.

Dates of Service: This is the period of time your bill covers. It gives you the previous read date to the current read date.

Total Days: This is the total number of days for this billing cycle. It can vary from month to month depending on when it was read.

Past Due Date: This is the date current charges are due without a late charge being added to account. This date does not extend time for any previous balance. For a previous balance, your bill will show a past due notice.

Past Due Notice: If your account has a previous balance, your utility bill will print a Past Due Notice that will tell you when you must have the previous balance paid to avoid disconnection of services.

Message(s): Always check the bottom of your utility bill for any messages that are there. Helpful information will be printed in this area.

Start Service

To apply for electric, water or sewer services with the Town of Forest City, you must come into the office at 128 N. Powell Street and sign an agreement. Please bring with you a picture identification, your social security card, and a lease agreement from your landlord and the exact address to be connected. If you are buying the property please bring proof of ownership. An application for utility services will need to be completed. Deposits of $100.00 for electricity and $25.00 for water are required before service will be connected.

Transfer Service

There is a $30.00 fee associated with the transfer of service from one location to another. You will need a lease agreement or proof of ownership for the new location to be connected. In addition, a new application for utility services will need to be completed.

Application for Electric, Water or Sewer pdf icon

You may print the application form and have it filled out before coming into the office for your convenience.


Meters are read each month starting on the first working day of the month. Utility bills are then calculated and mailed between the 20th and 25th of that month based on these readings. The bill is due by the 15th of the following month. A $6 or 1.5% past due fee (whichever is greater) is added to the account if the balance is not paid in office or online by 5:00 pm on the 15th. Delinquent accounts are then subject to disconnection/interruption of service on or after the 3rd of the following month. The exact date of disconnection of service is determined by the Finance Officer considering weekends, holidays, etc. An example of this schedule is as follows:

On or after September 1

Meter is read

September 20-25

Bill is mailed based on reading

October 15

Bill is due (if not paid, a $6 or 1.5% fee is charged)

On or after November 3

Delinquent accounts are subject to disconnection/interruption of service. A delinquent administration fee of $45 is assessed if past due balance is not paid in office or online before 5:00 pm on day preceding scheduled disconnection/interruption of service.


If service is discontinued/interrupted due to non-payment, all past due balances and fees assessed must be paid in order to have service restored. If you pay the past due balance online, you must call the Utility Billing and Collections Department during normal office hours to schedule reconnection. A service fee of $75 is assessed for anyone requesting reconnection of services when a public works on-call employee must be dispatched after the meter department's normal work hours.  Meter Department hours are 7:30am until 4:00pm.

The Town has implemented a call notification system prior to the scheduled disconnection/interruption of service on or after the 3rd of each month. 

All payments must be received at City Hall. Payments will not be accepted by service personnel in the field.

A $25 fee will be charged for returned checks.

If you have any questions regarding your utility bill, call 245-0148 between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday.

Update to Utilities Policy Adopted: October 18, 2010


Utility payments can be made in a variety of ways:

  • Walk-in payments are welcomed. We also have a drive-thru window for payments as well as a drop box for after hours. When using the drive-thru window, you must bring a copy of your bill.

  • A bank draft can be set up in the office. We also accept VISA, MasterCard and American Express. This service can be performed by internet or in person at Town Hall.

  • Payments made at Town Hall: VISA, MasterCard and American Express can be accepted at Town hall. Must have valid picture ID.

  • Night time deposit box

  • By internet at Town of Forest City Online Services


Water & Sewer Rates

Electric Rates

Summary Rate Sheet


Stealing utilities is now a felony.

Forest City Bulk Water Theft Policy

Meter tampering is defined by NC Law G.S. 14-151.1 as interfering with electric, gas or water meters; prima facie evidence of intent to alter, tamper with or bypass electric, gas or water meters; unlawful reconnection of electricity, gas or water; civil liability. This is punishable with up to a $500.00 fine or two years in prison.