When is a permit required?

Building permits are required for any construction, alterations, repairs or additions to any building. For non-structural work under $5,000.00, a building permit is not required. All installation or repairs to electrical, plumbing, heating or air conditioning requires a permit for each trade.

Is a permit required for construction of a deck?

Yes, a permit is required to determine compliance with the building code.

When is a contractor's license required?

A contractor's license is required when the project cost of construction is $30,000.00 or more. Exception: A homeowner who lives in the home and plans to live there for 12 months may do his or her own work without a license. Any applicable permits are still required to determine compliance with state and local codes.

What is considered an accessory building?

Storage buildings, gazebos, detached garage, manufactured carports or any structure that is detached from a principal structure (dwelling) on the same lot, and must be located in the rear setback of the yard.

Is a permit required for installing a fence?

No, but installation must meet the required setbacks and height by the building code.

Do I need a permit for demolition?

Yes. Although there is no fee, the inspection department is required to inspect the site before, during and after demolition.

When does a permit expire?

A permit expires six (6) months after the date of issuance if the work has not started. The permit will expire if, after commencement, the work is discontinued for a period of twelve (12) months.

Can I operate a business from my home?

Yes, with limitations. A home occupation business can only be operated in certain zoning districts. You will need to contact a zoning official at 828.248.5239 for more information.

How many sets of plans are required for Non-Residential plan approval?

The town requires four (4) sets of engineered plans.

If I am in the ETJ (Extra Territorial Jurisdiction) do I need to obtain any permits?

Yes. The permit application process applies to persons in the ETJ just as it does for persons inside city limits.

When is a zoning permit required?

Prior to any building permit being issued or installing any other outside home accessory structure.